About

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

More Fun at Work

So I haven't written in a while, but here is what I have been doing at my internship lately. I haven't gone out to do any buying in a while. My last time I went to Salvation Army in Brooklyn. But lately I have been doing research to help the store! So lately, I've searched different green blogs, DIY crafting blogs, and DIY sewing blogs. It's been fun to look at all the different blogs, because not only will it help the store and give my boss ideas, but it gives me ideas as well!

My boss also wanted me to apply for a free bike rack to be placed right outside the store, so it promotes being green and using bicycles to get around rather than say a bus.

I also researched some "green" seminars and workshops going on throughout the city for my boss and I to go to. So far, there's one that she definitely wants to go to; it's to learn how to plant trees, and you would be given a tree kit, and would be able to plant a free tree right outside your store. I really want to go to that workshop, but I have class! :( But, there is another workshop that my boss and I will be going to! It's more like a meeting and seminar where CEO's and entrepreneurs of green businesses will be talking and giving ideas for other entrepreneurs! I am really excited to go to this one because I'm a big supporter of being green, and I hope to some day open up a business of my own!

At work I've also been sewing of course! I'm in the process of making a cute summer dress made from a mens buttondown shirt, the top of a dress, and the sleeves of a shirt. I'm almost done. I'm super excited to finish it!

For work, I am also supposed to get an e-mail from a lady to help set up and figure out plans for fashion week for the store, along with other stores on the street. I'm excited to hear back from the lady!

As for the city, I've been exploring with my friend Annie again. We went to Coney Island the other day; it was amazing! I love it! It is such a relaxing place, which is a nice change from city life where people are always moving, and always in a rush. I actually went there again the other day. It was soo nice!

Tonight I am going to watch "The Hangover" at Pier 54 for free! This will all be after Annie and I go to Chipotle of course! Despite it being a chain, we have had the biggest craving for it!

And as for school, I'm still a little confused as to what I should major in. I'm currently in Apparel Design & Technology right now. I love, love, love it! But because I love it so much, my grades in my non-fashion design courses are suffering a lot! So, if I do end up switching majors, I plan of graduating from Purdue, finding a job (hopefully in New York), and taking classes at F.I.T. to get a degree in fashion design there. So far, I have been thinking of a lot of random and different majors. Ranging from retail management to teaching, dietetics, statistics, actuarial science, environmental science, or just something in the health field. As I said, I'm a little confused, but I'm hoping to talk to the career services place at Purdue to figure out my life, and hopefully not be an undergrad for 6+ years. I know I do eventually want to go to graduate school as well, and I don't want to work 24/7. I do want to have a life, and have time for my family. I know I'm thinking way ahead, but I don't want to be one of those people who a) hate their job, b) never sees or supports their children/family, or c) be broke the rest of my life. I'm a hard worker, and I know once I find something else that I love and can see myself doing for a long time, that I will succeed. I definitely see fashion design as one of those things, but my dream will have to wait for now. (At least 2 or 3 years). Because after all, I do have to do well in school! :)

Okay, I will be back later, and write what I've been up to with my job, and just exploring New York City!

Marina Del Monte
-Complete. Absolute. Harmony.

No comments:

Post a Comment