About

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Exploring NYC and the Fashion World

So as I'm in New York this summer completing my internship, I've made it a mission to explore all things fashion. So here's my week regarding fashion and all!

Friday - Sunday, I'm working at my internship! I'm super excited!

Monday I am meeting with someone at Dolce Vita. She is going to show me around the shop, the office, and show me the new line. I'm going to use this opportunity to ask her about fashion life, and whether or not I should stay put as a fashion design major, or switch to management. I've learned so far through my internship that I love going out and about throughout the city for my boss and her store. It's awesome being able to shop for the store, and promote it to other companies/stores. I love being able to work behind the scenes, as well as being able to work at the actual store with customer service, etc.

On the other hand, fashion design is so fulfilling. Yes, it is crazy stressful at times, with 20 hr. weeks worth of sleep, but once that design is complete it is all worth it! It is also scary though, because I'm scared all this hard work will lead to nothing (ie-will be living on the streets after college), or that my grades will suffer due to all my sewing.... But fashion design is what I've always wanted to do, and is the one occupation I can imagine myself doing for a long time. I love helping people, and being able to make someone a custom-made garment and seeing the smiles on their faces would mean the world to me! :) Everyone always says, "Follow your dreams", but it's hard when what you love interferes with schoolwork, or isn't what your parents want you to do, or isn't even a guaranteed money maker.

Anyways, on to Tuesday! I am going to visit F.I.T.! I'm hoping that if I stick with fashion design, maybe I can go to F.I.T. after Purdue so I can learn even more about fashion design. This way I can learn more about their program/campus, while I am in New York.

And Wednesday I am going to a reading to see Kelly Cutrone, the queen of fashion PR! Hopefully I can talk to her to gain some more insight, and I'm planning to write her a hand-written letter (from the heart!), and maybe she'll write back?? With her busy schedule, I'm not going to expect anything, but hope for a response!

Then Thursday, I have class again.

Friday, Work.

Saturday, not sure yet. If I have homework I will do that. Or maybe explore all the fabric stores in the garment district to gain some inspiration for the fashion show this year. And if I do stick with fashion design, I'm starting my fashion show pieces ASAP! like the day I get back to school! :) Hopefully some of my sisters will be willing to be my models, or at least someone I know at school!

Sunday, Work again!!

So this is my schedule for the next week or so. I plan on going to visit Parsons School of Design sometime while I'm here, and maybe go to Philly to visit Drexel University, and maybe visit Syracuse University and Marist College! O, and also maybe RISD in Rhode Island as well! :)

Okay, off to being productive today! = buying groceries, getting ready for class, maybe working out, and some laundry!

Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment